I’d just like to take a second and thanks for all of you following my humble blog. I really hope you enjoy my content and enjoy these end of the month favorites list. If any of you have any recommendations for products to try, give me a holler in a comment or email me at email@example.com.
Now on to the favorites!!
I also wanted to give you all links to where you can purchase any of the products mentioned in my favorites list.
- #MorpheMe Monthly Brush Club -I love joining monthly subscription clubs… I may have some sort of addiction. I tend to relapse. I cancelled my ipsy, birchbox, and bulu box. However I did for good reason. It was nice to get little surprises every month, but now I go through extensive research before buying any kind of makeup. I want to see how it reacts with different people, what the ingredients are, if it is cruelty free, any information I can find I will get. So without knowing really what I will get most of the stuff would just sit and go unused and eventually given away or worse, thrown away. I hate that. However, #MorpheMe is all about makeup BRUSHES! Think of it as an artist, which medium is graphite pencil. Brushes are the pencil; getting a new set every month is amazing! Trying new sizes, different hardness and blend. Now think of ipsy and birchbox as trying new mediums…try being a pencil artist getting sent acrylic paint or water color, or even sculpting clay… WHAT!? That’s the best I can describe it. I actually am an artist and this makes total sense to me. Changing tools within your respected medium is easier than changing medium entirely.
Anyway sorry to ramble. Basically you are chard $20 a month to receive a selection of Morphe Brushes equating to at least $30. EVERY MONTH! Yes some of the brushes I don’t see myself using but my mom is an avid makeup user and she’d love some free makeup brushes! This subscriptions can be bought by beginners trying to find that brush that works, or a pro makeup artist that wants a wider selection of brush for their arsenal!
- Dark Angels Face Cleanser – I first heard of Lush when I was watching a YouTuber explain her cruelty free skin/hair regimen. I briefly looked up the company and thought “this is way to shwanky for me.” Fast forward t visiting The Brea Mall for the first time, they actually have a Lush store in the mall…and boy was I hooked. My thoughts about animal cruelty had changed since first watching that YouTube video and I am currently a pescaterian. So finding fresh ingredient, cruelty free skin care was a blessing. I had no idea where to start, but the employees really helped me. I told them my skin concerns and problems and they gave me a ton of samples to try at home. I fell in love with Dark Angels immediately. It’s a charcoal face scrub that has teeny-tiny exfoliants (again natural and organic, so no plastics) that scrub away dead skin, dry patches, and the charcoal helps soak up excess oil. The thing about this, because it has exfoliants, I try to use this every OTHER day to not over work my skin. And in between I use CerVe facial cleanser (also to remove makeup) I have huge pores and so this scrub really helps with buffing away the layers of grim inside my pores making them appear smaller, it also make my face feel like a baby’s butt! If you have sensitive skin, this may not work because it can cause irritation with the scrubbing but they have a similar face bar that doesn’t have the exfoliants.
- Mask of Magnaminty Face Mask – To piggy back off the Dark Angels, I love pairing that with Mask of Magnaminty…I really wish they would change the name of that. That’s the only thing I hate about this product…the name. But besides that, this mask if amazing! This mask has peppermint oil that gives your face a nice fresh tingly feeling, like little peppermint sticks cleaning out your pores! Also bentonite gel to further clean pores and tighten them. So the mask works as a deep penetrating cleanser AND a pore tightener. Lush states this product is great for all skin types but especially with combination skin. I have a little of everything, dry patches here, oily pool there, perfect skin in sparse areas…My face is definitely bi-polar…or tri-polar. But I definitely recommend this mask for a first timer. Side note, even though all their ingredients are natural/organic/etc… if you are allergic to any of the ingredients, DON’T BUY IT! I almost bought a mask until I stumbled on the ingredients; calamine, and I’m allergic to that. I break out in severe hives and that is the LAST thing I want! So even though the company is natural and organic, people can still be allergic to key ingredients.
- DeeLux – Remember I talked about thrift stores that are “higher end?” Well this is one of those thrift stores. DeeLux is like a thrift store/vintage boutique/hipsters paradise. I came across this store on a business run for my work. We were trying to get business to hang posters for our shelter in their window in support. I came back on my day off and fell in love with this place! I do love your sketchy hole-in-the-wall thrift stores but they can get overwhelming and tire me out after 2 hours. (yes, I’ve shopped at a thrift store for over 2 hours before!) DeeLux is quite small but very organized. Take the women’s blouses, they organize it by no sleeves, short sleeve, long sleeve, etc… then by color/pattern, THEN by size! So each section is size small, sleeve length, then color scheme. It’s amazing! Really satisfies the inner OCD in me! They also buy clothing so they are always looking for the trending fashion items and making sure that no random garments are in the store. All of them have some sort of style for 2016. And since they buy clothes, you can sell your second hand pieces! I sold a pair of Doc Martens and a shirt for $40 store credit! They also give cash back but that’s usually lower. So if you’re an avid thrifter like me, store credit is A-OK! They also sell local artists trinkets; key chains, journals, socks, belts, etc… It’s a pretty well rounded store. The prices are fairly good. I got a pair of Jeffrey Campbell woodies for $35! (after some research, those shoes retailed for $200!) Total score am I right? And they don’t just cater to women, that have a big selection of men’s clothing and shoes that are in mint condition! If your close, check out the Claremont store or the Santa Ana store!
- Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer – YouTube totally made me buy this! I have been on a mission to find the perfect concealer ever since starting my makeup collection. I tried Rimmel, I tried Maybelline, I tried NYX…all to no avail. All of them creased, patched, or just felt wrong. I don’t have huge dark circles or veiny under eyes and eyelids, but I wanted something to just even out the slight discoloration. I watched Jaclyn Hill of course and her 2015 favorites, she raved about Urban Decay’s concealer… This was basically the end of my “drugstore only” makeup days… I HAD to try it. I got color swatched at Sephora and then MUA talked about either wanting a concealer for more highlighting purposes or just to even out my skin color. I opted for the natural look rather than full blown Kim K cheek bone beam. I have used it every time I wear makeup! (Which is usually on the weekend) I even adopted JH’s method as using it as a lid primer rather than using a separate primer. It’s the best thing since sliced bread! And maybe Champagne Pop! It runs $28 dollars for one tube. But if you’re looking for a concealer that is all around perfect, I recommend splurging on this holy grail of concealers!
- Make Up For Ever ULTRA HD Stick Foundation – Last but certainly NOT least! Again YouTube made me buy this. I was convinced that my Lo’real true match collection would be perfect for me for the rest of my life…until I watched Jaclyn Hill, Nikkietutorials, and every other damn beauty guru using ULTRA HD stick!! I didn’t want to like it, I wanted to believe it was not worth the $47 I spent on it…but the Sephora MUA color matched me…and it was love at first swipe. OH MY GOD! This foundation stick is LIFE! It’s totally worth $47! I will say the price was off putting at first but my mom actually had a gift card for me and I used that to pay for most of the charge. So it really only cost me $6ish. The finish on this foundation is just like skin! It’s dewy (which may not work for super oily faces) and SUPER bendable! Once upon a time, I used Maybelline fit me foundation stick and that took one hell of an arm to blend that sucker out! MUFA HD stick is so creamy and blends like a dream; you only need the lightest hand to blend this formulation out for medium to full coverage. Which is great for wrinkles! I’m in shade 123, or also known as Y365 “Desert” The MUA at Sephora advised me that this foundation does oxidize, which makes it darken when exposed to the air. So if anything go a shade lighter. I opted for the darker one because 1. I get really tan in summer. 2. It didn’t oxidize too much on my face for me to notice it. The darker shade gave me more life than the lighter one, which made me look like a mannequin. So if you have the money, buy it. You don’t need to use a lot when applying and for someone like me that wears makeup on the weekends, this will last me a while! I’ll let you know when I do eventually run out!
Hope you enjoyed this months favorites! Comment and like if you’re digging these monthly lists!
Sorry to start the new year off with a late favorites post…I’ve just been so busy with the Puerto Vallarta video I skipped out on my favorites! But without further adieu, January Favorites!!
- Make Up For Ever Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primers in Smoothing and Mattefying – Boy that was a mouthful! I know I am like the queen of drugstore makeup/products but lately I’ve been branching out into the high end makeup…I blame Jaclyn Hill! She raved about these primers in one of her favorites videos and I thought I would sample them first from Sephora…they’re awesome for that! (frugal pro tip… if you are looking to get samples, act as if you know nothing about the product you’re interested in…chances are the employees will give you a bigger sample amount than if you go in there knowing everything!) Anyway, these are totally worth $37 each…well sort of. I got the travel sizes which are $16 each. But I will definitely buy these again. The smoothing primer helps fill in my black holes of pores and helps with creasing under my eyes when I apply concealer. The mattefying one is an understatement… this will leave you HELLA matte its no freaking joke! I only use the mattefying on my forehead in between my eyebrows because I get SUPER oily there but not so much everywhere else and I still want some luminosity on my face so I look a little radiant. I recommend this if you have really oily skin all over your face, and if you have combination skin like me, just use it in areas that tend to get shiny.
- Depeche Mode – What can I say, I’ve been on a binge listening to them. It’s come on more often on the radio than I’m used to. I have always been a Depeche Mode fan because of my mom, she listened to them when I was growing up. And lately the radio is bumping some bomb ass music lately and I rekindled that love for the 80’s English electro band. Enjoy the silence is a classic and I;; be honest when I say, its been my pump song for heading to the gym!
- The Spice and Tea Exchange Crème of Earl Grey tea -I am HUGE fan of tea. Hence why my tagline is nicki”TEA” if you didn’t get that. When I went to new Orleans last year my mom told me that there was a tea store that we should go to. I feel in love with the place, they have such a wide selection of teas, spice, salts, sugars, peppers..its incredible! I found this crème of earl grey that is similar to one you can find at any grocery store but it has a “milky” taste to it. It’s hard to explain but it is by far my favorite tea of ALL TIME! Contains just the perfect amount of caffeine and gets me going through my morning better than a fatty cup of coffee would.
- 85°c Bakery – So I heard of this place about a year ago from my mom. Its basically an Asian bakery/café. I think Taiwanese? I could be wrong but there is one conveniently located 2 streets away from Ryan’s house! I have gone there about 2x a month for some sweet treats and my favorite…sea salt COFFEE! But I’m making a point to bring them up now because the company recently reached out to me and asked if they could use one of my pictures from my IG to post on theirs. I was flattered and gave them permission and in return they mailed me 2 free coffee&bread coupons! I haven’t used them yet but I can’t wait. They have a new sea salt coffee flavor, caramel! Which is my favorite! I want to thank them so much for promoting my picture and just being an awesome café. Ya’ll should see the closest near you and try them out!
- The Positivity Blog – If you read my previous post, A Happy Person, you’ll know why this blog is so important to me. I don’t want to bore you much with this, but its a blog about self help and learning to become a better person that enjoys life.